Friday, February 9, 2007

The Life Aquatic

Onboard the R/V Weatherbird II. I am impressed with the amount of room inside, and the boat (I mean yacht) is overall larger that I expected. The vessel makes me feel like I’m in the movie “The Life Aquatic”, minus the Jacuzzi, hot-air balloon, and Filipino pirates. Although, we did see nice jacuzzi at home depot today. My sleep last night was surprisingly good, although it took me a while to actually fall asleep due to some minor jet lag and pondering the black sharpie message in the wood right above my bunk that reads, “Hi Rob, Have fun! Hayden.” I wonder who Rob and Hayden are? Well I’m hoping Hayden had fun, as I am sleeping in his once upon-a-time bunk and following his legacy of crewing the great Weatherbird II.
Today, David and I, worked on sorting out safety equipment, We went through and checked the “Harvey Suits” (which are basically survival suits, you only wear if you're in big trouble, and when activated look surprisingly similar to a bright red version of the “marshmallow man” off “Ghost Busters.” We also checked the life vests and work jackets all of which need their strobe lights replaced, due to expiration dates. We are also replacing all of the batteries in the “E” (Emergency lights), which are located all over the boat. Locating these “E” lights reminded me of a “Where’s Waldo” puzzle, these suckers were hidden everywhere from the corner of the galley to the room behind the room of the engine room, which you can barely fit in. The time not spent checking, noting, and organizing safety stuff was spent cleaning and filling up my cup of coffee. Overall there’s lots of work to be done, but it was a good day and I feel optimistic that the boat will be ready by the end of the month.

No comments: